Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Waiting for Superman




Uneducated

            Do you send your children to school every day expecting that they are going to learn something? I’m sure the majority of parents do. Our children attend school daily barely learning to write their names let alone in cursive. We always want to base the fact that our children aren’t learning as they should because of the neighborhoods we live in. I remember as a child I didn’t live in the best neighborhood in Duval County, but my second grade teacher was amazing. I now live in a decent neighborhood in Duval County that I have observed a second grade teacher that really doesn’t seem to care. The truth is we can have some of the best teachers in the worst neighborhoods.
            “Unfortunately, Duval County is not one of the higher-performing school districts in Florida; in fact Schooldigger.com ranks Duval County 56th out of 67 Florida counties. Nevertheless, there are many bright spots. For example, Jacksonville is home to four of the nation's top 100 high schools, and is also home to a number of high-quality elementary schools” (About.com). I live across the street from Greenland Pines Elementary school, a school that has been rated an A school. But the teacher that my 8 year old cousin has in the second grade is a perfect example of a bad teacher in a good neighborhood. My Aunt will normally take my cousin to school and when doing so has naturally come across several parents with kids in the same class. She has made it a point to ask them if their children were having issues with their grades in this teacher’s class, just to make sure it wasn’t just my cousin cutting up in class and not paying attention. Four of the other parents that she has spoken with have said that their child too was struggling, and two out of four of those parents had put their children in tutoring. If this isn’t a good example then I don’t know what is.
            When I was younger I lived off of 103rd street, and attended Jacksonville Heights Elementary school. Granted 103rd street is not considered to be the worst neighborhood in Jacksonville and clearly not the best. In 2nd grade I attended Jacksonville Heights and I never once came home with a bad grade. I remember Mrs. Daily as if it was yesterday, and I remember her because she was one of the best teachers I’ve ever had. She always spent so much time with her students. If my mother ever needed to be in contact with my teacher, it was always a simple process to do so. There was never a question on what homework was due, or what my grades were like, or if I was struggling and possibly going to fail.
            Now a days to get in touch with a teacher, is like waiting on the president to give you a call back. A really good friend of mine has a child in 5th grade, and any time she needs to get in contact with the teacher, it’s never easy. The teacher lets her get bad grade after bad grade, and waits close to the end of the school year to let her know that her child is close to failing. If she had only known this earlier in the school year she could have addressed this issue. Now due to the lack of communication with the teacher, her child is at risk of failing. This teacher has an address, home phone, cell phone, work phone, email, and a student to send information home with but still shows no concern in this student’s education.
            Why is this? Why do our children have to take a chance in whether or not they have a good teacher? There was a quote from the film Waiting for Superman that really struck me the wrong way. “I get paid whether you learn or not”. (Waiting for Superman) I couldn’t agree with that statement more, this is exactly what those bad teachers stand by. And because of the policy tenure that has been put in place for teachers, teachers are allowed to feel this way and are basically allowed to put in less effort in teaching our children and encouraging them to stride for a better future and education. Because at the end of the day when those bad teachers go home they still have a job.” I have worked in a state that did not have tenure and one that does.  In both of those states, most of the teachers were hard working and dedicated to the children.  There were no more "poor" teachers in one state than the other”. (www.education.com)


           


                                                                         Works Cited
            "About.com Education." About.com Education. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2013.
                "Duval County Public Schools: Teaching. Learning. Achieving." Duval County Public Schools: Teaching. Learning. Achieving. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2013.
                "Should Teachers Have Tenure?" Education.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2013.
                "Waiting for 'Superman'(2010)." Yahoo! Movies. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment