Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Journal 6 MIss Representation


Miss Representation
After watching the film Miss Representation I was surprised to see the reality of discrimination against women in Congress that I didn’t know about. The film showed several different aspects in how women are viewed by society and how degrading it can be. The video also showed the different levels of congress or government jobs that women are in and how little of them there are. Granted I’ve seen for myself how women are exploited on the television as a piece of meat but I didn’t know to the extent of discrimination in the work place. Watching the film also showed how even though a woman is in a position such as Congress, they still aren’t viewed differently nor as equal to a man. Society is so used to this happening, that it’s basically a hidden subject or just overseen. The film was a great view on what really goes on and opened my eyes to a lot that I did not know.  I too have applied for certain positions for employment that I know I was over qualified for and have been turned down to a male getting the position. I could literally work circles around this under certified male, but it didn’t matter because it was a warehouse job where mostly males worked. The application you fill out at a workplace states that they will not discriminate against, sex, race, orientation, etc. But the truth is, it happens every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment